Curriculum Vitae Karthik Ramasamy Education 2011-
Postdoc at The University of Alabama, USA, “Synthesis of Ternary and Quaternary Metal Chalcogenide Nanoparticles for Spintronics”
Ph.D at The University of Manchester, UK, “New Molecular
Precursors for Metal Sulfides” 2003-2005
M.Sc (Chemistry): Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, India
B.Sc (Chemistry): Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, India
First class - 78.09% Experience M.Sc. Research “Towards Synthetic Metallohydrolases: Synthesis, Stucture and DNA Binding Behavior of Mixed Ligand Copper(II) Complexes of a Tetradentate Phenolate Ligand with certain Diimines” (Prof. M. Palaniandavar, School of Chemistry, Bharathidasan University). I studied the interactions of metal complexes with DNA and received an IAS Fellowship to visit and work on metal – DNA chemistry with Prof. A. R.Chakravarty, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Industrial Research I worked as a Research Executive (Orchid Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Chennai, India, July, 2005 - September, 2007). I synthesized four active Pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and developed pilot-level scale up, which included satisfying safety control and regulatory requirements. Two novel chiral compounds were prepared and resolved. The development of the APIs involved reduction reactions using pyrophoric catalysts including: Raney Ni, Pd/C and Rh/Al2O3, and also handling hazardous chemicals such as: LiAlH4, NaBH4, NaH, Na, K and Vitride. I also gained knowledge of patent evaluation and submission. Ph.D Research “New Molecular Precursors for Metal Sulfides” (Prof. Paul O’Brien, School of Chemistry, The University of Manchester, UK). I have been involved in number of different research projects, practical lab demonstrating to undergraduate students and outreach activities with young people. The main thrust of my research is to synthesis metal sulfide thin films and nanoparticles by new routes. I have successfully synthesised and explored a wide range of novel complexes of thio- and dithio-biurets (producing more than 20 new or novel compounds see ref. 4). I have also synthesised and characterised wide range of nanoparticles for various applications including solar cells. Other opportunities have include participation in international collaborations. Two months were spent with Prof. Neerish Revaprasadu (University of Zululand, South Africa) working on novel methods for lead chalcogenide nanostructures. I spent 20 days learning the basic techniques of high resolution XPS with Prof. D. D. Sarma (Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India). I have hands-on experience with various sophisticated instruments including: Perkin Elmer FT-IR Spectroscopy, EG & G PAR 273 potentiostat/Galvanostat cyclic voltammetry, Varian Cary 300 Double Beam UV/Vis Spectrophotometer, Jasco J- 716 Spectroflurometer, Schott – Gerate AVS 310 Automated Viscometer, Gel Electrophoresis, Bruker PXRD, Philips XL-30 FEGSEM, Philips cm200 TEM, Tecnai HRTEM.
My work has resulted in a number of peer reviewed journal publications (26 to date), presentations at conferences and in two granted patents. Awards Overseas Research Studentship, The University of Manchester, 2007- 2010 Summer Research Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, May-June, 2004 Holder of all India rank, GATE-2007 Membership of Societies Member of Royal Society of Chemistry Member of American Chemical Society Member of Material Research Society Oral Presentations 15th May 2009
National Centre for Nano-Structured Materials, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, South Africa. ‘Single Molecular Approach to Semiconductor Nanostructures’
Department of Chemistry, University of Zululand, South Africa. ‘Novel Single Molecular Precursors for Semiconductor nanostructures’
CVD meeting, University College of London. ‘Cobalt Sulfide Nanostructures using Single Molecular Precursors’
Solid State and Structural Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, India. ‘Novel Approaches to Semiconductor Thin films or nanostructures’
21st May 2010 Graduate Research symposium, The University of Manchester,
Some Novel Approaches to Inorganic Materials
3rd International Symposia on Material Chemistry, Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Mumbai, India. ‘New Molecular Precursors for Metal Sulfide Thin Films and Nanostructures’
Computing Working programming knowledge of ‘C’ Familiar with Windows OS –98, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 Manage and handle data routinely with Scifinder Scholar, Origin, Diamond and ISIS draw Regularly use Chem Office and Chemwind packages Permanent Address C/o.R.Sritharan, Aladimariyamman Koil Street, Kidaramkondam
I enjoy reading books, swimming and listening to Indian music. Referees 1. Prof. Paul O’Brien 2. Prof. Neerish Revaprasadu 3. Prof. P. Venuvanalingam Phone: 91-431-240 7053 (Off) School of Chemistry Fax: 91-431-240 7043, 240 7020 Bharathidasan University Tiruchirapalli 620 024 Email: [email protected] India List of Publications (Peer Reviewed Journals)
1. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A. Malik, Madeline Helliwell, Fluriona Tuna and Paul O’Brien, “Iron Thiobiurets: Single Source Precurosrs for Iron Sulfide Thin Films”, Inorg. Chem, 2010, 49,
2. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A. Malik, James Raftery, Fluriona Tuna and Paul O’Brien, “Selective Deposition of Cobalt Sulfide Nanostructured Thin Films from Single Source Precursors”, Chem. Mater, 2010, 22, 4919
3. Karthik Ramasamy, Weerakanya Maneerprakorn, Mohammad A. Malik and Paul O’Brien, “Single Molecular Precursor Based Approaches to Cobalt Sulfide Nanostructures”, Phil.Trans. R. Soc.A, 2010, 368, 4249
4. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A.Malik, Paul O’Brien and James Raftery, “Metal Complexes of Thiobiurets and Dithiobiurets: Novel Single Source Precursors for Metal Sulfide Thin Film Nanostructures”,Dalton Trans, 2010, 1460
5. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A.Malik, Paul O’Brien and James Raftery, “The Synthesis and Structure of Cadmium Complex of Dimorpholino dithioacetylacetonate and their use as Single Source Precursor for CdS Thin films or Nanorods”.Dalton Trans, 2009, 2196
6. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A. Malik, Paul O’Brien and James Raftery, “Nickel Sulfide Thin Films from Thio and Dithio-biuret Precursors”, Chem.Mater, 2010, 22, 6328.
7. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad Malik, Paul O'Brien, James Raftery, “ZnS, CdS and ZnxCd1-xS Thin Films from Zn(II) and Cd(II) Complexes of 1, 1, 5, 5-Tetramethyl -2-4-dithiobiuret As Single Molecular Precursors”, Mater. Res. Soc Proc, 2009, 1145, MM, 4.40 8. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A. Malik, Paul O’Brien and James Raftery, “Single Source Precursors for Zinc Sulfide, Cadmium Sulfide and Zinc Cadmium Sulfide”. Chem. Mater,2011, 23, 1471.
9. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad. A. Malik, Paul O’Brien, “The Chemical Vapor Deposition of Cu2ZnSnS4 Thin Films”,Chem. Sci, 2011, 2, 1170.
10. Karthik Ramasamy, Weerakanya Maneerprakorn, Nasir Iqbal, Mohammad Azad Malik, Paul O’Brien, “Cobalt(II)/Nickel(II) complexes of dithioacetylacetone [M(SacSac)2] (M = Co, Ni), as Single Source Precursors for cobalt/Nickel Sulfide Nanostructures”, International Journal of Nanoscience (DOI: 10.1142/S0219581X11009234)
11. Karthik Ramasamy, Nonto Ziqubu, Pullabhotla. V. S. R. Rajasekhar, Neerish Revaprasadu, Paul O’Brien, “New Route to Lead Chalcogenide Nanocrystals”, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem (DOI: 10.1002/ejic.201100829) 12. Venugopal Rajendiran, Ramasamy Karthik, Mallayan Palaniandavar, Helen Stoeckli- Evans, Vaiyapuri Subbarayan Periasamy, Mohammad Abdulkader Akbarsha, Bangalore Suresh Srinag and Hanumanthappa Krishnamurthy, “Mixed-Ligand Copper(II)-phenolate Complexes Effect of Co-ligand on Enhanced DNA and Protein Binding, DNA Cleavage, and Anticancer Activity”, Inorg. Chem, 2007, 46, 8208 13. Nanto Ziqubu, Karthik Ramasamy, Pullabhotla. V. S. R. Rajasekhar, Neerish Revaprasadu, Paul O’Brien, “Simple Route to Dots and Rods of PbTe Nanocrystals”. Chem. Mater, 2010, 22, 3817
14.Xiaoheng Liu, Mohammad Afzaal, Karthik Ramasamy, Paul O’Brien and Javeed Akhtar, “Synthesis of ZnO Hexagonal Single – Crystal Slices with Predominant (0001) and (000Ī) Facets by Poly(ethyleneglycol)-Assisted Chemical Bath Deposition”, J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2009, 131(42), 15106
15. Arunkumar Panneerselvam, Ganga Periyasamy, Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad Afzaal, Mohammad. A. Malik, John Waters, Van Dongven Bart, Paul O’Brien, Neil Burton, “Factors Controlling Material Deposition in the CVD of Nickel Sulfide, Selenides or Phosphides from
Dichalcogenoimidodiphosphinato complexes: Deposition, Spectroscopic and Computational Studies”. Dalton Trans, 2010, 39, 6080
16. Ncami Maseko, Neerish Revaprasadu, Rajasekhar V. Pullabhotla, Karthik Ramasamy, Paul
O’Brien, “The Influence of the Cadmium Source on the Shape of CdSe Nanoparticles”, Mater Lett., 2010, 64(9), 1037
17. P. L. Musetha, N. Revaprasadu, G. A. Kolawole, P. V. S. R. Pullabhotla, K. Ramasamy and P. O’Brien “Homoleptic Single Source Precursors for the Deposition of Platinum and Palladium Chalcogenide Thin Films”, Thin Solid Films, 2010, 519, 197.
18. Ahmed Lutfi Abdulhady, Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A. Malik, Paul O’Brien, Sarah J. Haigh and James Raftery, “New Routes to Copper Sulfide and Nanostructures and Thin Films” J. Mater. Chem (DOI: 10.1039/c1jm13277f)
19. John C. Newton, Karthik Ramasamy, Manik Mandal, Amar Kumbhar and Rajesh Sardar, “Low Temperature Synthesis of Various Ligand Protected magic-Sized CdSe Nanoclusters’ J. Phys.Chem. C (accepted)
20. Karthik Ramasamy, Dipanajan Mazumdar, Ziyou Zhou, Y.H.A. Wang, Arunava Gupta, “Colloidal Synthesis of Magnetic CuCr2S4 Nanocrystals and Nanoclusters” J. Am. Chem. Soc (Submitted)
21. Karthik Ramasamy, Pullabhotla. V. S. R. Rajasekhar, Neerish Revaprasadu, Paul O’Brien, “New Route to Bismuth Selenide and Telluride Nanostructures”,Manuscript In Preparation
22. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad. A. Malik, Paul O’Brien, James Raftery, “Organotin Dithiocarbamates: Single Source Precursors for Tin Sulfide Thin Films by AACVD”, Manuscript In Preparation
23. Arunkumar Panneerselvam, Ganga Periyasamy, Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad. A. Malik, Van Dongven Bart, Paul O’Brien, Neil Burton, “CVD of Cobalt Sulfide, Selenides or Phosphides from Dichalcogenoimidodiphosphinato Complexes: Deposition, Spectroscopic and Computational Studies”. Manuscript In Preparation
24. Gemma Stansfield, Karthik Ramasamy, John P. Thomas, Paul O’Brien, “ZnS and CdS Thin Films at Water/Toluene Interface Using Zinc and Cadmium Thio-biurets” Manuscript In Preparation
25. Ahmed L. Abdelhady, Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A. Malik and Paul O’Brien, “A Facile Synthesis of In2S3 Nanorods and Nanowires from a Single Source Precursor” Manuscript In Preparation
26. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad A. Malik and Paul O’Brien, “The Potential of Copper Zinc Tin Sulfide Cu2ZnSnS4 in Solar Cell Applications” Manuscript In Preparation Book Chapter(s) 1. Mohammad A. Malik, Karthik Ramasamy, Paul O’Brien, “Selenium and Tellurium Containing Precursors for Semiconducting Materials” Edited by J. D. Woollins and R. Laitinen, Selenium and Tellurium Chemistry, (DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-20699-3_9 Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2011 Patents
1. Ramasubbu Chandrasekaran, Mamidala Rajanikanth, Arjunan Desinghu, Ramasamy Karthik,
Siripragada Mahender Rao, “An Improved process for the preparation of Clopidogrel”, WO 2007/144729 A1; IN200601018-14
2. Thangavel Arulmoli, Mahender Rao Siripragada, Muthulingam Arunagiri, Karthik Ramasamy,
“Method for the Preparation of an Intermediate of Duloxetine Hydrochloride”, 1472/CHE/2007; IN 200701472-14 Conference Abstracts
1. ZnS, CdS and ZnxCd1-xS Thin Films from Zn(II) and Cd(II) Complexes of 1, 1, 5, 5-Tetramethyl-
2-4-dithiobiuret as Single Molecular Precursors. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad Malik, Paul O'Brien, James Raftery, Graduate Research Conference, the University of Manchester, 17th Sept, 2008.
2. ZnS, CdS and ZnxCd1-xS Thin Films from Zn(II) and Cd(II) Complexes of 1, 1, 5, 5-Tetramethyl -
2-4-dithiobiuret As Single Molecular Precursors. Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad Malik, Paul O'Brien, James Raftery,MM.4.40, Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, USA. 2-6, Dec- 2008.
3. Cobalt Sulfide Nanostructures from Single Molecular Precursors. Karthik Ramasamy,
Mohammad Malik, Paul O’Brien, P609_004, 42nd IUPAC international congress, Glasgow, 2-7, Aug-2009.
4. A Greener Route to Metal Selenide and Telluride Nanoparticles. Neerish Revaprasadu,
Olawatobi S. Oluwafemi, Nhlankipho Mntungwa and Karthik Ramasamy, P608_12, 42nd IUPAC international congress, Glasgow, 2-7, Aug-2009
5. The Deposition of Nickel Sulfide or Copper Sulfide Thin Film Nanostructures by AACVD.
Karthik Ramasamy, Mohammad Malik, Paul O’Brien, P33, Nanoparticles-2009, Liverpool, 2-4, Sept-2009.
6. Novel Methods for Metal Chalcogenide Thin Films or Nanostructures, Karthik Ramasamy,
Mohammad Malik, Neerish Revaprasadu, Paul O’Brien, NS 13, ICONSAT-2010, Mumbai, India, 17-20 Feb-2010
Media Article 1. Article mentioning my work in South Africa, SA Mail & Guardian, 2010, Feb12-18, p32.
BIS-GMA–BASED RESINS IN DENTISTRY: ARE THEY SAFE? KARL-JOHAN SÖDERHOLM, D.D.S., M.PHIL., ODONT.DR.; ANGELO MARIOTTI, D.D.S., PH.D. Background. The authors critically surveyed that short-term administration of BIS-GMA and/orresearch dealing with the release of resin componentsbisphenol A in animals or cell cultures can inducefrom dental composites and the potential of thesechanges in e
• Définir le deuil normal et le deuil pathologique. • En cas de deuil normal, préciser la durée et • Prise en charge du patient dont le deuil se • Discuter du retour au travail et des formulaires – Douleur, affliction que l’on éprouve de la – En clinique, le deuil peut se manifester lors – Réactions normales suite à la perte d’un être cher en fonction de la