• No abrasives for 24 hours fol owing a waxing treatment.
Cushing Syndrome; (Pituitary Gland) When certain tumors
• No deodorants for 24 hours fol owing an underarm
affect the adrenal cortex and cause it to produce excessive
To ensure a successful waxing experience, please read and
amounts of hormones, including androgens. Characterized
• Women may experience extra sensitivity to waxing up to a
by severe hirsutism, and fat development on face, neck,
week prior to the beginning of their menses and during
WARNING: If you are currently using any of the fol owing
menses. Therefore it is not recommended to receive a
prescription medications, you cannot receive a waxing service.
Archard-Theirs Syndrome also knows as “the diabetes of
Bikini or Brazilian wax during this time.
You must discontinue use of these medications for a minimum
bearded women”; A disease differing from Cushing
• If you are diabetic with poor circulation or slow healing,
of three (3) months prior to waxing. The exception is Accutane;
Syndrome in that the arms and legs are also obese. The
you must be off this medication treatment course a minimum of
patient is usual y very hirsute, has diabetes, hypertension,
• No Herpes Simplex, STD or area of question can
Hysterectomies; The removal of the female reproductive
organs decreases the production of female hormones and
makes the male hormone levels proportional y higher.
Hormones regulate hair growth, both normal and abnormal.
• Avage (See Tazorac - Acne medication)
It is the over secretion of male hormones that causes
Stress; The adrenal gland secretes larger amounts of
excessive hair growth. Research has established that most
androgen at times of severe stress or trauma. Resulting in
excess hair is due to a combination of overabundant
excess hair, especial y on the face.
androgen – and an enzyme in the fol icle that is sensitive to
androgen increase. Here are various causes of excess
Atavistic Syndrome; Sometimes young girls wil exhibit
• Retin A (Acne and Anti-aging medication)
hypertrichosis before puberty. The hair grows along the
spine, back, arms and sometimes the under arms. The
Heredity and Puberty; Adjustment of hormone levels at this
cause of this condition is unknown and theory is that it is
time can result in excess hair and acne. CAUTION: If you are currently using any of the fol owing,
Age; Menopause causes estrogen levels to decrease. This
Topical; Some excess hair can grow simply by increasing
please inform your technician. These products can make the
results in an increase of testosterone and androgen. Males
blood supply. Common stimulants are the sun, x-rays,
skin more sensitive. Thin, sensitive skin is more vulnerable to
may also grow excess hair in mid-life or earlier on their
ultraviolet light, and some scars due to injury or operation.
lifting and sensitivity during waxing.
backs, legs, face, neck, and ears. This is a form of “Male
The amount of excess hair from these causes is very little.
• Other Acne medications not listed above
Obesity; Scientific studies have shown that obese patients
• Alpha Hydroxy Acids (Glycolic, Lactic)
Pregnancy; A woman may lose hair on her head and at the
develop a synthetic androgen hormone that causes the
same time develop superfluous hair on the face and chest.
After pregnancy, the hair on the head wil usual y re-grow,
but the excess hair rarely disappears.
Anorexia Nervosa; Characterized by voluntary starvation.
The adrenal gland secretes extra androgen to compensate
Latrogenic Hirsutism; Excess hair caused by the use of
for the lack of strength. Consequently, additional hair is
drugs derived from hormones. Birth control pil s and Dilantin
(seizure medication) are some examples.
• Sunburned or irritated areas cannot be waxed.
Stein Leventhal; (Ovaries) This syndrome can occur when
the ovaries have more than one cyst, which wil stimulate
• You must wait a minimum of seven (7) days before waxing
high levels of androgen. The hirsutism rarely disappears
after a light chemical peel or microdermabrasion.
after medical treatment. The patient is usual y overweight,
• Waxing cannot be performed if you have had laser skin
has irregular menstrual cycles, is general y infertile, and is
• Waxing cannot be performed if you have had a physician
administered peel within the past two (2) years.
Acromegaly; (Pituitary Gland) When the pituitary gland
• If irritation should occur, use an antibiotic ointment
secretes too much hormone due to stimulation by a tumor.
such as Neosporin to keep the area lubricated and to
The pituitary hormone directly stimulates the adrenal gland,
causing it to secrete excess androgen. It causes chronic
• No sun for 12 hours fol owing a waxing treatment.
hirsutism. Both men and women can suffer from this
• No hot baths for 24 hours fol owing a body
• No abrasives for 24 hours fol owing a waxing treatment. Cushing Syndrome; (Pituitary Gland) When certain tumors• No deodorants for 24 hours fol owing an underarmaffect the adrenal cortex and cause it to produce excessiveTo ensure a successful waxing experience, please read andamounts of hormones, including androgens. Characterized• Women may experience extra sensitivity to waxing up
PRESCRIPTION DRUG RIDER This Prescription Drug Rider (“Rider”) is made a part of Coventry Health and Life Insurance Company’s Certificate of Coverage (“COC”). The benefits provided by this Rider become effective on the date Coverage under the COC is effective. PRESCRIPTION DRUG BENEFITS Subject to the terms, conditions and scope of coverage, including all Exclusions, Limitati