Curriculum Vitae Eleanor J. Mol oy Ph.D., M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O.,M.R.C.P.(U.K),F.R.C.P.C.H.,F.R.C.P.I.,Dip. Healthcare Manag. Current Positions:
Associate Professor of Paediatrics, Royal Col ege of Surgeons of Ireland
• Consultant Neonatologist,(1.7.2005 –present), National Maternity Hospital, Holes St,Dublin.& Our Lady’s
• Senior Clinical Lecturer in Paediatrics, University Colege Dublin
Postgraduate Qualifications 2009 Fel owship of Joint Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, Dublin Fel owship of Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, London Senior Clinical Lecturer, University Col ege Dublin School of Medicine & Medical Science Fel owship of Royal College of Physicians of Ireland. Register of Medical Specialists, Division of Paediatrics, Medical Council of Ireland, Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of Specialist Training (CSCST) Paediatrics, Specialist Registrar training completed 2003; Graduation 2004 Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Specialist Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital, Cleveland, USA Human Subjects Research Protection Certification, University of Miami, Florida Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Faculty of Medicine, University Col ege Dublin Submitted June 2003; Viva September 2003; Graduation December 2003
2001-2 Diploma Course in Management for Medical Doctors
Royal Col ege of Surgeons in Ireland & Institute of Public Administration (1 year)
2000-4 Advanced Paediatric Life Support Course (A.P.L.S.) 1999 M.R.C.P.I., Paediatrics, Member, Royal Col ege of Physicians of Ireland M.R.C.P.C.H.
, Member of the Royal Col ege of Paediatrics and Child Health, London
M.R.C.P. (U.K.), Paediatrics, Member,Royal Col ege of Physicians, London, Paediatrics U.S. Medical Licensing Examinations (U.S.M.L.E.)Permanent certification 2003 Neonatal Resuscitation Course Hospital-based Instructor General Professional Training (GPT), Paediatrics & General Medicine, Royal Col ege of Physicians of Ireland M.R.C.P.I., General Medicine, Member of the Royal Col ege of Physicians of Ireland in Medicine Postgraduate Awards & Grants 2010 National Children’s Research Centre : Seed funding: The role of Protein C in Neonatal inflammation. 2010 National Children’s Research Fund Grant: Neonatal brain injury on MRI and early EEG: association with
disruption of the blood brain barrier and systemic antioxidants.
2010 National Children’s Research Fund Grant: Neonatal Cardiac function: novel echocardiographic and biochemical
markers to predict neonatal outcome. Co-PI
2009 Visiting Professor, University at Buffalo, Neonatology Dept., Children’s Hospital, Buffalo, USA 2009 National Children’s Research Fund Grant: Persistent inflammation and neonatal brain injury: association of
systemic and cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers with MRI.
2008 Scientific and Research College, National Maternity Hospital, Dublin: Vitamin D in preterm infants: Maternal
2007 Children’s Research Fund Grant: Gender differences in sex steroid hormones and neonatal outcome: The role
of estradiol, progesterone and testosterone in sepsis
2006 National Maternity Hospital, “The use of Left Ventricular Function and Pro-B-
type Natriuretic Peptide in predicting outcome in preterm infants with a Patent Ductus Arteriosus
on Echocardiography” (2005-2008), €25,000
2005 Pediatric Academic Societies Young Investigator’s Travel Award
PAS Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, May, 2005
2003 Journal of Medical Science Doctor Awards, Ireland; Winner: Endocrinology 2002 Paediatric Prize , Irish Perinatal Society
2001 Wil iam Stokes Award , Royal Col ege of Physicians of Ireland 2001 Sir Peter Freyer Scientific Research Medal
2001 The Irish and American Paediatric Society Travel Award, The Len & Arlean Fries Award 2001 National Scientific Meeting Poster Prize, Royal Col ege of Physicians of Ireland 2001-3 Clinical Research Fel owship, Health Research Board
2001Children’s Research Fund Grant, Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin 2000 & 2001 Mater College Research Grant, Mater Col ege for Postgraduate Education & Research Professional Training General Professional Training Fel owship: 4 years in Ireland as Specialist Registrar 2 years: Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital, Fel owship in Neonatology Cleveland USA
Ph.D. Thesis: 2000-3: Perinatal inflammatory responses in health and disease: the role of the neutrophil, University Col ege Dublin, awarded 2003. Postdoctoral fel owship : Supervisor: Dr. C. M. Doerschuk: Departments of Integrative Biology and Neonatology, division of Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, Cleveland, USA, 2003-5. Dr. CM Doerschuk :Triggering Receptor Expressed on Myeloid cells (TREM)-1 and Tol - like Receptor-4 in neonatal neutrophil homeostasis Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, Cleveland, USA, 2003-5. Dr. CM Doerschuk Professional responsibilities:
M.D. Students supervised:Awarded: Dr. Afif El-Khuffash, 2005-7:The Significance of Left Ventricular
Function and Pro-B-type Natriuretic Peptide in predicting outcome in preterm infants with a Patent Ductus Arteriosus on Echocardiography.
o MD student: Dr. Fiona O’Hare: Systemic inflammation and perinatal brain injury Commenced July
2009; in col aboration with Prof Watson, Conway Institute, UCD: Funding NCRC, Crumlin; 2009-2010
o MD student: Co-supervisor: Dr. Katey Armstrong, Co-PI: Dr. O. Franklin: Neonatal Cardiac function:
novel echocardiographic and biochemical markers to predict neonatal outcome; Funding NCRC, Crumlin; 2010-2012
o MD student: Dr. Hassan Eliwan, The role of activated protein c in neonatal inflammation. Seed
Funding NCRC. Col aborator Prof Watson.2010-2012
o MD student: Dr. Deirdre Sweetman, Neonatal brain injury on MRI and early EEG: association with
disruption of the blood brain barrier and systemic antioxidants. Funding salary NCRC. Col aborator: Dr. Ger Boylan & Dr John Murphy.2011-2013
Dr. Fiona O’Hare: Systemic inflammation and perinatal brain injury
Commenced July 2009; in col aboration with Prof Watson, Conway Institute, UCD
Co-supervisor PhD student: PI: Prof McAuliffe. Neonatal outcome fol owing randomized control ed trail of
low glycaemic index diet in pregnancy: Ms Jacinta Byrne
Post-doctoral researcher: Dr. Ogenna Uduma. Vitamin D in term and preterm infants and influence on
neonatal outcomes. PI Eleanor Mol oy 2010.
MSc: Catherine Doughty. sTREM-1 in term and neonatal sepsis. 2009-2010. PI E. Moloy MSc: Eoghan Hayden. The Educated hand in neonatal resuscitation. Awarded 2010. Co-supervisor
2009-10 President , Irish American Paediatric Association
2009-10 Director of Paediatrics, National Maternity Hospital 2009 Irish Paediatric Critical Care Network, Faculty of Paediatrics representative National Paediatric Hospital, Models of Care Committee National Paediatric Hospital, Research Committee, Working group President elect, Irish American Paediatric Society Director of Neonatology, Our Lady’s Hospital for Children, Crumlin Chairperson, Paediatric Critical Care Research Forum, OLCH Convener, Neonatal Subcommittee, Faculty of Paediatrics, RCPI Irish representative on European Board of Paediatrics/CESP European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS), Confederation of European Specialists in Paediatrics (CESP) Secretary, Irish American Paediatric Society Chair, Neonatal Services Accreditation Committee, National Maternity Hospital College Tutor, National Maternity Hospital, Royal Col ege of Physicians of Ireland Publications: Papers: Peer-reviewed
1. EL-Khuffash A, Slevin M, McNamara PJ, Mol oy EJ. Troponin T, N-terminal Pro Natriuretic Peptide, and a patent ductus arteriosus scoring system predict neurodevelopmental outcome at 2 years or death before discharge in preterm Infants. accepted Arch Dis Child 2010
2. A EL-Khuffash, E Kieran E, EJ Molloy. Neonatal Respiratory Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) support in Ireland. Irish Medical Journal 2010 ( in press)
3. El-Khuffash A, Molloy EJ.The Role of B-Type Natriuretic Peptide (BNP) in Neonates, Infants, and Children.
International Journal of Paediatrics, Invited Review, April 2010 issue
4. Waters A, Hassan J, deGascun C, Kisoon G, Knowles S, Molloy E, Connel J, Hal WW. Human Cytomegalovirus UL144 is associated with Viremia and Infant development in congenital infection. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 2010 (in press)
5. Low E, Mol oy EJ. Neonatal Albumin infusions in Paediatric Intensive Care. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal
6. Thomas M, McCal ion N, O’Donnel CP, Hayden E, Bergin K, Mol oy EJ. Metronome use may optimize ventilation with a T-piece resuscitator (Neopuff) device. J Neonatal and Perinatal Medicine (in press 2009)
7. Walsh S, Molloy EJ. Is Intravenous immunoglobulin superior to exchange transfusion in the management of severe neonatal hyperbilirubinaemia? Arch Dis Child 2009 Sep;94(9):739-41
8. Barrett M, Molloy EJ. Do we neglect infant safety in air travel? Arch Dis Child Jan 2009 Jul;94(7):562.
9. Mol oy EJ, Olatundun Owoeye C, Knowles S. Is antenatal screening for syphilis stil necessary? Irish Medical
10. Mol oy EJ. Triggering Receptor Expressed on myeloid cells (TREM-1) antagonists. Recent Patents Anti-
Infect Drug Disc. 2009 Jan;4(1):51-6.
11. Chukwu J, Iro C, McCal ion N, Quinn F, Molloy EJ. Survival of Infants with Congenital Diaphragmatic hernia in Ireland following admission to the Tertiary Paediatric Surgical Centres. Irish Medical Journal 2009
12. Molloy EJ, Walsh M. Comparison of pigtail to conventional thoracostomy tubes in the neonatal intensive care unit. J Perinatal-Neonatal Med 2008 (in press)
13. Mol oy EJ, El-Khuffash A, Bieda A, Petersen JH, Jelinek MM, Baley J. Iron overload in preterm infants is gender-dependent. Am J Perinatol 2009 Jan;26(1):7-11
14. McCarthy R, McCal ion N, Harrison G, Molloy EJ. Relationship between Vitamin D and alkaline phosphatase levels in Low Birth Weight Infants . Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2009 Jan;94(1):F77-8.
15. Parameshwar M, Abu I, Knowles S, Mol oy EJ. Neonatal Meningitis: a diagnostic dilemma. Irish Medical
16. El-Khuffash A, Mol oy EJ. Influence of a Patent Ductus Arteriosus on Cardiac Troponin T Levels in Preterm Infants. J Peds 2008 Sep;153(3):350-3.
17. EL-Khuffash A, Barry D, Amoruso M, Walsh K, Molloy EJ.Biochemical markers may identify preterm infants with a patent ductus arteriosus at high risk of death or severe intraventricular haemorrhage. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2008 Nov;93(6):F407-12.
18. O'Rourke DJ, EL-Khuffash AF, Moody C, Walsh K, Mol oy EJ.Early identification of Patent Ductus Arteriosus by Serial Echocardiography may be associated with Reduced Morbidity in Preterm Infants. Acta Paediatrica 2008 May;97(5):574-8
19. El-Khuffash A, Molloy EJ. Cardiac Troponin T and N-terminal-pro-B type Natriuretic Peptide Reflect Myocardial Function in Preterm Infants. J Perinatol 2008 Jul;28(7):482-6.
20. Walsh SA, Yao N, El-Khuffash A, Twomey A, Molloy EJ. Efficacy of Intravenous Immunoglobulin in the management of Haemolytic Disease of the Newborn. Irish Medical Journal 2008 Feb;101(2):46-8.
21. Morris I, McCal ion N, El-Khuffash AF, Molloy EJ. Serum albumin and mortality in very low birth weight infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2008 Jul;93(4):F310-2
22. Morris I, Mol oy EJ. The effect of normalising albumin levels in preterm neonates. Arch Dis Child Fetal
23. El-Khuffash A, Walsh K, Mol oy EJ. Blood Pressure Correlates Poorly with Left Ventricular Output and Regional Blood Flow in Preterm Infants. J Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine 2008 1: 37-41.
24. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil AJ, Grantham J, Sheridan-Pereira M, Fitzpatrick JM, Webb DW, Watson RWG. Maternal and Neonatal Lipopolysaccharide and Fas responses are altered by sepsis. Clin Exp Immunol. 2008 Feb;151(2):244-50.
25. McNamara R, Molloy EJ. Rationalizing the Use of “Growing Bloods” in Preterm Infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal
26. Mol oy EJ. Are elevated peripheral leukocytes markers of septic etiology in asphyxiated infants with neurological disability? J Perinatol 2008 Jan;28(1):85
27. O’ Hare FM, Mol oy EJ.What is the best treatment for hyperkalaemia in a preterm infant?
28. El-Khuffash A, Mol oy EJ. Troponin use in neonates. Neonatology 2008 Dec 19;94(1):1-7
29. Mol oy EJ.Possible sequelae of sustained lung inflation in resuscitation of preterm infants. Pediatrics,
30. EL-Khuffash A, Walsh K, Molloy EJ. Quantitative Assessment of the Degree of Ductal Steal Using Celiac Artery Blood Flow to Left Ventricular Output Ratio in Preterm Infants. Neonatology 2007 Nov 9;93(3):206-
31. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil AJ, Grantham J, Sheridan-Pereira M, Fitzpatrick JM, Webb DW, Watson RWG. Neonatal encephalopathy is associated with altered perinatal systemic neutrophil apoptosis. Am J Perinatol. 2007 Oct;24(9):525-30.
32. EL-Khuffash A, Walsh K, Molloy EJ. Left Atrial Appendage Mimicking an Intra-cardiac Vegetation in Preterm Neonates. Neonatology 2007 Aug 16;93(2):113-116
33. El-Khuffash A, Molloy EJ.N-Terminal Pro-B-Type Natriuretic Peptide as a marker of Ductal Significance in Preterm Infants: A Prospective Observational Study. Arch. Dis. Child. Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2007; 92: F421- F422
34. El-Khuffash A, Molloy EJ.Incidental finding of endocarditis in a preterm neonate. Arch Dis Child Fetal
35. El-Khuffash A, Mol oy EJ. The use of B-natriuretic peptide (BNP) and NT-pro-BNP in neonatology. Arch Dis
Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2007 Jul;92(4):F320-4.
36. Mol oy EJ, Deakins K. Are carbon dioxide detectors useful in neonatology? Invited review. Arch Dis Child
Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2006 Jul;91(4):F295-8.
37. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil AJ, Doyle BT, Grantham J, Taylor Ct, Sheridan-Pereira M, Fitzpatrick JM, Webb DW,
Watson RWG. Altered lipopolysaccharide-induced neutrophil responses following hypoxia and heatshock in both adults and neonates in vitro Biol Neonate 2006 Feb 23;90(1):34-39 Mol oy EJ, O’Neil SM. Neonatal E. coli sepsis: any possible effects of gender, type of surfactant or time to initiation of antibiotics ? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2006 Apr;194(4):1201-2.
39. Mol oy EJ, DiFiore L, Martin RJ. Does gastroesophageal reflux cause apnea in preterm infants? Biology of
Sandhaus LM, Nigro K, O’Riordan MA, Mol oy EJ, Walsh M. Can the automated immature granulocyte count replace the manual differential count in clinical practice? Am J Clin Path, 2005 Apr;123(4):1-7. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil AJ, Grantham J, Sheridan-Pereira M, Fitzpatrick JM, Webb DW, Watson RWG. Granulocyte colony stimulating factor and granulocyte macrophage stimulating factor have differential effects on neonatal and adult neutrophil function and survival in vivo and in vitro. Pediatric Research 2005Jun;57(6):806-12.
42. Mol oy EJ, Doctor BA, Reed MD, Walsh MC. Perinatal toxicity of domestic exposure to naphthalene mothbal s. J Perinatol, 2004 Dec;24(12):792-3.
43. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil SM, Walsh MC, Mol oy CM. Increasing infant safety in air travel: deficiencies are not limited to child restraint systems. Arch Ped Adoles Med 2004 Nov;158(11):1093. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil AJ, Grantham J, Sheridan-Pereira M, Fitzpatrick JM, Webb DW, Watson RWG. Labour induces a Maternal Inflammatory Response Syndrome (MIRS). Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004, 190,448- 55. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil AJ, Grantham J, Sheridan-Pereira M, Fitzpatrick JM, Webb DW, Watson RWG. Labour prolongs neonatal neutrophil survival and increases Lipopolysaccharide responsiveness. Pediatr Res 2004 Jul;56(1):99-103.
O'Neil AJ, Doyle BT, Molloy E, Watson C, Phelan D, Greenan MC, Fitzpatrick JM, Watson RWG. Gene expression profile of inflammatory neutrophils: Alterations in the inhibitors of apoptosis proteins during spontaneous and delayed apoptosis. Shock 2004 June, 21(6):512-518. Mol oy EJ, O’Neil AJ, Grantham J, Sheridan-Pereira M, Fitzpatrick JM, Webb DW, Watson RWG. Gender-specific alterations in neutrophil apoptosis: the role of estradiol and progesterone. Blood 2003, 102:2653-2659.
48. Langdana A, Tul y N, Molloy E, Bourke B, O’Meara A. Intensive enteral nutrition support in paediatric bone marrow transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplantation, 2001 ;27:741-746.
Byrne B, Cotter A, Mol oy E, Turner M. Should pregnant women be screened for drugs of abuse? Ir Book chapters:
El-Khuffash A, Walsh K, Molloy EJ. The management and treatment of a patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants. Invited chapter. Heart Disease in Children. Series: Cardiology Research and Clinical Developments Pub. Date: 2009 4th Quarter. Editors: Marius D. Oliveira and Wil iam S. Copley. Nova Publishers. 2.
Darling J, Molloy EJ. Practical Procedures and Investigations. Euromastercourse in Paediatrics submitted June
Burgh DM, Drewett M, Molloy EJ. Neonatology IV Disorders requiring surgical intervention. Euromastercourse
in Paediatrics. submitted June 20094. Molloy EJ, Gorman WA. Fluid and electrolyte balance in the newborn.Newborn Surgery 3rd Edition. Editor Prof Molloy EJ, Reen D. Immune system of the Newborn. Newborn Surgery 3rd Edition. Editor Prof Prem Puri. Publications: Abstracts: >100
NAME OF THE MEDICINAL PRODUCT Clexane (Lovenox) SyringesClexane (Lovenox) Forte Syringes QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE COMPOSITION Enoxaparin sodium 20mg (equivalent to 2,000 IU anti-Xa activity) in 0.2ml water for injectionsEnoxaparin sodium 40mg (equivalent to 4,000 IU anti-Xa activity) in 0.4ml water for injectionsEnoxaparin sodium 60mg (equivalent to 6,000 IU anti-Xa activity) in 0.6ml