Microsoft word - nederkoorn.doc
Dr. P.J. Nederkoorn MD PhD, Neurologist, Clinical Epidemiologist
1. Preventive antibiotics in stroke study (PASS)
Dr. P.J. Nederkoorn, Neurologist, Clinical Epidemiologist
Dr. D. van de Beek, Neurologist
We started a multi-centre prospective, randomized, open-label, blinded endpoint (PROBE) trial of standard care plus
preventive treatment with ceftriaxone, as compared to standard care without preventive ceftriaxone, in patients with
acute stroke. 3200 patients will be randomly assigned into two groups of 1600 patients, to receive standard care and
ceftriaxone, at a dose of 2 g given every 24 hours intravenously for 4 days, or solely stroke-unit care without
preventive antibiotic treatment. Primary end point will be functional outcome at 3-month follow-up on the modified
Rankin Scale (mRS); dichotomized as a favourable outcome (0 to 2) or an unfavourable outcome (3 to 6). Secondary
outcome measures will be death rate at discharge and 3 months, infection rate during hospital admission, length of
hospital admission, volume of post-stroke care, use of antibiotics during the 3 months follow-up, functional outcome
using the full ordinal scoring range of the mRS, quality adjusted life years (QALY’s) and costs. Funding for 3 PhD
students is obtained (NHS and ZonMW).
2. Cerebral small-vessel disease
Project to investigate the aetiology of cerebral small-vessel disease. Collaboration with UMCU (Neurology,
Radiology, and Clinical Epidemiology). The program consists of 3 studies:
-Post-mortem and 7-Telsa MRI study
-In-vivo 7-Tesla MRI study in patients with cerebral small-vessel disease
-Epidemiology study in risk factors for cerebral small-vessel disease
3. Diagnostic sub-study in a large ongoing international trial, the International Carotid Stenting Study.
- Local principal investigator of the International Carotid Stenting Study (ICSS)
- Principal investigator of an international sub-study of the ICSS.
4. 'Parelsnoer initiatief'
Large national stroke network investigating stroke and genetics. Collaborative project with neurovascular
investigators of all eight Dutch university hospitals.
1. Thoonsen H, Richard E, Bentham P, Gray R, De Haan RJ, Van Gool WA, Nederkoorn PJ. Aspirin in
Alzheimer’s Disease: Increased Risk of Intracerebral Haemorrhage - Cause for Concern? Stroke, in press.
2. Nederkoorn PJ, Westendorp WF, Hooijenga IJ, de Haan RJ, Dippel DWJ, Vermeij FH, Dijkgraaf MGW, Prins
JM, Spanjaard L, van de Beek D. Preventive Antibiotics in Stroke Study, rationale and protocol for a randomized trial. Int J Stroke, in press.
3. Kloppenborg RP, Richard E, Sprengers ME, Troost D, Eikelenboom P, Nederkoorn PJ. Steroid responsive
encephalopathy in cerebral amyloid angiopathy: a case report and review of evidence for immunosuppressive treatment. J Neuroinflammation. 2010 Mar 9;7:18.
4. International Carotid Stenting Study investigators, Ederle J, Dobson J, Featherstone RL, Bonati LH, van der
Worp HB, de Borst GJ, Lo TH, Gaines P, Dorman PJ, Macdonald S, Lyrer PA, Hendriks JM, McCollum C, Nederkoorn PJ, Brown MM. Carotid artery stenting compared with endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic carotid stenosis (International Carotid Stenting Study): an interim analysis of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2010;20:985-97.
5. Bonati LH, Jongen LM, Haller S, Flach HZ, Dobson J, Nederkoorn PJ, Macdonald S, Gaines PA, Waajier A,
Stierli P, Jäger HR, Lyrer PA, Kappelle LJ, Wetzel SG, van der Lugt A, Mali WP, Brown MM, van der Worp HB, Engelter ST; for the ICSS-MRI study group. New ischaemic brain lesions on MRI after stenting or endarterectomy for symptomatic carotid stenosis: a substudy of the International Carotid Stenting Study (ICSS). Lancet Neurol 2010;9:353-62.
6. van de Beek D, Wijdicks EFM, Vermeij FH, de Haan RJ, Prins JM, Spanjaard L, Dippel DW, Nederkoorn PJ.
Preventive antibiotics in acute stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Neurol 2009;66:1076-81.
7. Nederkoorn PJ, Brown MM. Optimal cut-off criteria for duplex ultrasound for the diagnosis of restenosis in
stented carotid arteries: review and protocol for a diagnostic study. BMC Neurol. 2009 Jul 22;9:36.
Supplementary Material Modeling Chemical Interaction Profiles: II. Molecular Docking, Spectral Data-Activity Relationship, and Structure-Activity Relationship Models for Potent and Weak Inhibitors of Cytochrome P450 CYP3A4 Isozyme Table 1. Testing set of CYP3A4 inhibitors (120 compounds). Compound Compound Compound Compound Chlormadinone Homochlorcyclizine Reserpi
Do Higher Doses of Vitamin C Lower Elevated Blood Pressure? Three studies say higher doses can for those with elevated blood pressure. By Michael Mooney June 2002 Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2002 Jun;282(6):H2414-21 Vitamin C prevents hyperoxia-mediated vasoconstriction and impairment of endothelium-dependent vasodilation. Mak S, Egri Z, Tanna G, Colman R, Newton GE. Cardiovascular